Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Whale of a Tale

Since I have a little time on my hands at the computer at work, I've decided to read Moby Dick. It's been on my list of "To-Reads" for so long that I decided to buckle down and read it. I was first interested in reading it when I read an excerpt of Bartleby the Scrivener: A Story of Wall Street which I still want to read all the way through. I've been on this "adventure" book kick so I decided to check it out. Amazingly, Herman Melville had a sense of humor.

For instance, the main character Ishmael states:

"and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off -- then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can."

Hahahaha...he sounds like my husband on a rainy day with people's umbrellas :)

Oh! And good tip...many older books are past their copyrights...and are thus free online. If you ever get an inkling to check out a classic, here are some great places to find them:

My absolute favorite - Project Gutenberg
Online Books Page
Alex
The Internet Public Library
Bibliomania
Classic Authors
Digital Book Index

No comments:

Post a Comment