Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Kat, Incorrigible - Stephanie Burgis

Title: Kat, Incorrigible
Author: Stephanie Burgis
Paperback: 295 pages
Publication Date: April 2011
FTC: I requested to review from Shelf Awareness


How adorable is this book.  I absolutely loved it.

From the back of the book:

Katherine Ann Stephenson has just discovered that she's inherited her mother's magical talents, and despite Stepmama's stern objections, she's determined to learn how to use them.  But with her eldest sister Elissa's intended fiance, the sinister Sir Neville, showing a dangerous interest in Kat's magical potential; her other sister, Angeline, wreaking romantic havoc with her own witchcraft; and a highwayman lurking in the forest, even Kat's reckless heroism will be tested to the utmost.  If she can learn to control her powers, will Kat be able to rescue her family and win her sisters their true loves?


This book is what would happen if Jane Austen wrote a book with a twelve-year-old heroine and threw in a little magic to boot.  It's got all the good stuff in a story: a mean stepmother, highwaymen (yay!), and magic.  How can you not get sucked into a story that starts off with this:

"I was twelve years of age when I chopped off my hair, dressed as a boy, and set off to save my family from impending ruin."

I know I would have loved this book back when I was a little girl.  My only problem is that I don't have a daughter to share this with....although maybe some day :)

I just saw this video for it:

And isn't the cover art so cute?  Here's the full jacket:



It looks like in the UK it goes under the title A Most Improper Magick:



I think I like my cover better but I like the alternate title better.

Check out Stephanie Burgis' website (she also has a blog) because you can read Chapters 1-3 and see if you don't get hooked.  I have to say I'll be looking out for the next two books in the series.

Also Reviewed by:

Capricious Reader
Fyrefly's Book Blog
BookLust


This has been a selection for Carl's Once Upon a Time V Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment