Thursday, October 15, 2009

Read-a-thon

This year I'm going to try and join in on the Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-thon. I tried doing it last year and failed spectacularly. This year I'm going to be more prepared. I even told my husband and he's supporting me and going to give me the time and space to do it. It's on a Saturday so while I'm reading he can watch college football.

But I have a question.

I recently received an audiobook of Muriel Barbery's Gourmet Rhapsody from LibraryThing's FirstLook program. And I told my husband that I was planning on popping on the audiobook during the Read-a-thon so I could still go work out and cook dinner, etc. And he said: THAT'S CHEATING!!!

So I'm asking...is listening to an audiobook during the Read-a-thon cheating?

***UPDATE: Consensus is, listening to an audiobook is NOT cheating. Whatever my husband says.

8 comments:

  1. No. That is absolutely *not* cheating. You're still awake and absorbed in a book. :-)

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It absolutely is NOT cheating. If you consider audiobooks to still be reading (which I do), then it is completely fine. Plus, you have to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NO NO NO...an audio book is not cheating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're joining in too! It'll be exciting-- I am trying to figure out what kind of snacks I want to have on hand for it... hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, that's not cheating. You might need to rest your eyes. Welcome to the Read-a-thon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been told that there really aren't any rules. Which would mean, of course, that there's no way to cheat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nooo! Not cheating. I know a lot of people who have done audiobooks so they can still carry on with necessary activities. It's a smart idea...NOT cheating! :) Glad you're joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that it isn't cheating. Good luck with your reading! This will be my first time and I'm excited

    ReplyDelete