Friday, October 2, 2009

All About the Books

A while back I received a HUGE surprise when I got home. A large box was waiting for me. Birthday? Nope. Christmas? Nope. Who was sending me something?

Turns out, I won tons of books from Reading Group Choices. After I started a book club here with some co-workers, I went searching for some websites for book clubs. If you've never checked out this website before, head on over there. They've got a great newsletter that I receive and obviously have contests for books as well. This month is National Reading Group Month and they have a fabulous website set up for it. This is a great resource so go on and register.

Oh. Here's the stack of books I won:Yeah, wow right? My husband just shook his head at me and wondered where we were going to house all the new books. He then proceeded to dig and in and has read three or four of them already. Sheesh. :)

I've read one and will be posting the review up soon.

Oh. This month's newsletter linked to this literary quiz. Seriously hard. I won't tell how many I got right or wrong...

This is the end of Banned Book Week (Sept 26-Oct 3). Take a look at the ALA's website on some of the frequently banned classics. Wow. Some of these are some of my all-time favorites.

Also, the book The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson won the Sunburst Award this year. I read this book awhile back and have yet to do a review. Let me just say I LOVED it so...yeah. Will definitely get that up.

I'm looking forward to seeing who this year's Man's Booker Award winner is. I have honestly never read any of the books by the authors in the running...but I THINK that Sarah Waters and A.S. Byatt will be two of next year's favorite all-time authors.

And while you are at it, go vote for the favorite National Book Foundation book. It's a goal of mine (if you hadn't noticed Rachel's and my National Book Award Challenge) to read a lot more of those award winning books. I LOVED Three Junes...just saying...

And that's all for today!


10 comments:

  1. Congrats on the big win! My husband always rolls his eyes at my piles of books but then I find a book from the pile on his nightstand so I don't pay much attention to him!
    Thanks for all of the great links!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome is that!!! You lucky girl you! I've got to check this site out!

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Congrats on the big win - looks like a nice bunch of books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow... great stack. Happy Reading...

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL ... lack of space for books is one reason I wanted a Kindle! I thought that maybe if I joined BookMooch it would help reduce the book pile around here but it didn't work out that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Second Chance is pretty good. Hope you enjoy all your new books! Thanks for the links

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just came across you blog; it's great. This post was very informative; thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah! Luck youuuuuu! Look at all those books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous win. There is nothing better than receiving a pile of books in the post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a GREAT haul! I see Pope Joan in there! It's one of my favorite books, and I'm due for a re-read. I hope you enjoy it when you get around to it!

    ReplyDelete