Friday, March 22, 2013

City of Bones - Cassandra Clare

Title: City of Bones: The Mortal Instruments Book One
Author: Cassandra Clare
Paperback: 485 pages
Publisher: McElderry Books/Simon & Schuster
Published date: 2007
FTC: Bought at used book store

Back when I worked at a bookstore there was a prominent display of Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments series.  It always caught my eye because the covers are really pretty cool and shiny. I know.  I'm drawn in by pretty shiny things.  Anyway, fast forward to last October when I was in Colorado visiting family and my brother and I were perusing a used book store. We'd both wanted to check this series out so I snagged the first book.  In a nutshell - super fun, easy read, love the characters, want to see the movie, getting book two at the library - BUT not going to buy the rest of the series. I am looking forward to The Infernal Devices series by her - seems like more up my alley - but I've heard you need to read this series first.

Back of the book:

When Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder. Much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with odd markings. This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons - and keeping the odd werewolves and vampires in line. It's also her first meeting with gorgeous, golden-haired Jace. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in an ordinary mundane like Clary? And how did she suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

My thoughts:

This series seems like it's going to be a great escapist read.  You know when you are looking at all the books you want to read and just want something that's easy to get into and can finish in a day or two.

Clary Fray is fun heroine to follow - artistic and smart.  Ok sometimes I thought a bit too much, would a teenager, even an artistic smart one talk like she does? I don't know.  Anyway, Cassandra Clare obviously thinks that her readers are also intelligent and the writing isn't too dumbed down for the teenage crowd - thank you Ms Clare!

While the ending wasn't necessarily shocking - I could see it coming - I was still surprised that she went that way.  I'm not giving anything away but I'm curious to see how the relationships play out in the series and how the movie masses react to the ending (those who haven't read the book.)

I also think it's quite funny how the book I have has a quote from Stephanie Meyer as the blurb, but the one above on GoodReads features one from Holly Black.  Interesting to see the change.

Another interesting thing - here's the cover to book two with the obvious image of red-headed Clary Fray on the cover:

I know there's some hubbub about the casting of a dark haired - although dyed a dark red - Lily Collins.  I don't really have a problem with it.  I am looking forward to seeing actor Robert Sheehan play Clary's BF Simon. That seems like a perfect casting call.  I also adore actors Lena Headey and Jonathan Rhys Meyers.  It's interesting that a story which takes place (so far) in New York City has a predominately British/Irish casting.  I'm assuming that it's not an American made movie? Thoughts?

I guess I should link the movie trailer since I talked a lot about it:

Also Reviewed By:

Monniblog
Fyrefly's Book Blog


No comments:

Post a Comment