Thursday, June 18, 2009

Foreign Films

I have to say that aside from books, I love watching movies. Growing up, both my older sister and brother worked at video stores. That meant I got to watch a TON of free movies. And I've always loved old movies. I have to watch White Christmas every holiday season and I've even swooned with a elderly lady over Tyrone Power while her husband just rolled his eyes.

That said...I also love foreign films. I used to watch them a lot more when I was in college and had a roommate who shared my love. Today, I usually watch them alone only sometimes getting the husband to watch along with me. Apparently reading subtitles is too much work sometimes :)

Today I found an article from Paste Magazine listing it's opinion of The Decade's Top 25 Foreign Films. Go check it out...there's video clips for each pick.

Paste's List of The Decade's Top 25 Foreign Films:
*One's I've seen are in bold

1. Pan's Labyrinth - amazing cinematography. A must-see.
2. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - love the music.
3. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - finally saw this and it's very moving.
4. City of God - wow. Scary wow. Kids with guns wow.
5. Talk to Her - my personal favorite. Here's a past post with a great clip to a song.
6. Spirited Away
7. In the Mood for Love
8. The Lives of Others - can't believe people were watched like that. Very moving.
9. Amores Perros - LOVE this one. But some parts are not for the weak of stomach.
10. Cache
11. 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days - just saw this one; great film but very scary to me
12. Amelie - so sweet. Another personal favorite. Who doesn't fall in love with Amelie.
13. Y Tu Mama Tambien - can't believe I haven't watched this one yet.
14. The Best of Youth
15. Nobody Knows
16. The Class
17. Yesterday
18. Paradise Now
19. Downfall
20. Gomorrah
21. Oldboy
22. Let the Right One In (really want to see this as well as read the book)
23. Volver
24. Persepolis
25. Maria Full of Grace

I'd probably add Motorcycle Diaries and The Host as well.

Have you seen any of these movies? Loved or hated them? Would you recommend one I haven't watched?

6 comments:

  1. Love movies but not into subtitles though. Must have been fab having access to all those films growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love movies, including those with subtitles so
    was interested to see the list. I'd highly recommend In the mood for a love and Yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love foreign films - I just have to be in the right mood to see them. Definitely agree on the addition of Motorcyle Diaries. And now I'm going to add a bunch of these to my Netflix queue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen quite a few of these ... of the ones you've listed here, my favorites are "Pan's Labyrinth", "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", "Spirited Away", and "The Host" (which is the movie "Cloverfield" wanted to be). I would also add Guillermo Del Toro's earlier film "The Devil's Backbone", which I thought was better than "Pan's Labyrinth". (My wife, who liked both movies, disagrees with me.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like foreign films as well and can sympathize with having to watch them alone. My husband also feels that it's "too much work" to read the subtitles sometimes.

    I agree, Motorcycle Diaries should be on that list. I have seen Amelie, but it's been awhile and I've been meaning to watch it again. Last time we were in France, we went to the cafe from the movie (Cafe de Deux Moulin) -- beware, it's uber sketchy!!

    You should check out Hawaii, Oslo; Ktichen Stories; Elling; Folk Flest Bor i Kina and Buddy. All 5 are Norwegian films that I have enjoyed. Kitchen Stories is a little weird, but good. Also, if you can find Noi Albinoi, check it out as well. It's an Icelandic film.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pan's Labyrinth is fantastic! And all the extras on the special edition DVD are excellent as well. Del Toro is a genius. Love him!

    Amelie is one of my favorite movies of all time. Who doesn't fall in love with Amelie, indeed! I consider myself a huge fan of Audrey Tautou. She is beautiful and fun.

    Oldboy...now that is one intense and disturbing film. Very well done, but..whoa! That is the ultimate revenge film.

    I have a friend's copy of In the Mood for Love to watch. I am a fan of the director because of Chungking Express...great movie.

    I want to see several of these other films that I haven't seen. Good foreign films are such a treasure. There is just something about seeing a great film that doesn't have an American aesthetic to it.

    ReplyDelete