I have to say that aside from books, I love watching movies. Growing up, both my older sister and brother worked at video stores. That meant I got to watch a TON of free movies. And I've always loved old movies. I have to watch White Christmas every holiday season and I've even swooned with a elderly lady over Tyrone Power while her husband just rolled his eyes.
That said...I also love foreign films. I used to watch them a lot more when I was in college and had a roommate who shared my love. Today, I usually watch them alone only sometimes getting the husband to watch along with me. Apparently reading subtitles is too much work sometimes :)
Today I found an article from Paste Magazine listing it's opinion of The Decade's Top 25 Foreign Films. Go check it out...there's video clips for each pick.
Paste's List of The Decade's Top 25 Foreign Films:
*One's I've seen are in bold
1. Pan's Labyrinth - amazing cinematography. A must-see.
2. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - love the music.
3. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - finally saw this and it's very moving.
4. City of God - wow. Scary wow. Kids with guns wow.
5. Talk to Her - my personal favorite. Here's a past post with a great clip to a song.
6. Spirited Away
7. In the Mood for Love
8. The Lives of Others - can't believe people were watched like that. Very moving.
9. Amores Perros - LOVE this one. But some parts are not for the weak of stomach.
11. 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days - just saw this one; great film but very scary to me
12. Amelie - so sweet. Another personal favorite. Who doesn't fall in love with Amelie.
13. Y Tu Mama Tambien - can't believe I haven't watched this one yet.
14. The Best of Youth
15. Nobody Knows
16. The Class
18. Paradise Now
22. Let the Right One In (really want to see this as well as read the book)
25. Maria Full of Grace
I'd probably add Motorcycle Diaries and The Host as well.
Have you seen any of these movies? Loved or hated them? Would you recommend one I haven't watched?