Thursday, August 21, 2008

Book Update - The Richest Season

A little while ago I won a copy of Maryann McFadden's book The Richest Season from Becca at The Inside Cover. I have to say that this is not the typical type of book I like to read. But Becca gave it a good review and so I thought I'd give it a go. I was looking for a book to read at night before going to sleep and wanted a light read.

At first I didn't really like it. I guess I've been a little burnt out on books that have one of the three main plots: adultery, suicide, or death as the focus. I mean, branch out a little more people!

Here's the story:

Joanna, a corporate wife is tired of her husband, Paul, constantly changing jobs, moving to new locations, etc. She has tons of money and "things" but really just wants her husband. Paul seems more concerned about climbing that corporate ladder than anything else. Their two kids are grown and finally out of the house when the wife snaps. Facing a new move, a new town, and an absent husband, she leaves Paul moves to a beach side town. She gets a job with Grace, an elderly lady, as a live-in helper.

Sigh...Lifetime movie anyone?

But I have to give it to Maryann McFadden that she wrote her characters very well. At first I was totally on the Joanna's side and was glad she was leaving. But then the whole book isn't just about the wife's story. It flip-flops between Joanna's perspective and Paul's perspective. After awhile I was totally on Paul's side and thought Joanna was completely being selfish.

So that's why, after about half-way through the book I found myself really liking the characters. I could see both their sides and they both changed and grew through the experience. And Grace was that perfect 'voice of reason' that sometimes helps characters understand experiences.

I didn't love this book but it was a good read. It did make me realize how much I appreciate my marriage and to always remember what is really important in life.

Side note:

The photo above is from the ARC copy she sent me. While not perfect I like it a lot better than the finalized cover which is below. I've heard some people like it but I think it's a bit boring. What do you think?

Also reviewed by:

The Inside Cover
In the Shadow of Mt TBR
Medieval Bookworm
They Call Me Bookie McBookerson
Bookroomreview's Weblog
S. Krishna's Books
At Home With Books
Pop Culture Junkie

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about the same theme. I'm getting tired of the adultery themed books too:)

    ReplyDelete