Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Nerd Do Well - Simon Pegg

some_text

Title: Nerd Do Well
Author: Simon Pegg
Paperback: 353 pages (ARC version)
Publisher: Gotham Books
Published Date: June 2011
FTC: free for TLC tour


When I saw that TLC Book Tours was hosting Simon Pegg's book Nerd Do Well, I asked if I could join the tour.  I will say here that I love British comedies and I love some of Simon Pegg's movies.  We own Shaun of the Dead and absolutely love it.  If you've never seen this zombie comedy (zomedy?) go rent it now.  I've also seen Hot Fuzz and Run Fatboy Run which were pretty funny too. (If you have no clue who Simon Pegg is or don't feel like reading the synopsis, check out his video below).

Here's the synopsis from TLC Book Tours:


The unique life story of one of the most talented and inventive comedians, star of Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and Star Trek.

Zombies in North London, death cults in the West Country, the engineering deck of the Enterprise: actor, comedian, writer and self-proclaimed supergeek Simon Pegg has been ploughing some bizarre furrows in recent times. Having landed on the U.S. movie scene in the surprise cult hit Shaun of the Dead, his enduring appeal and rise to movie star with a dedicated following has been mercurial, meteoric, megatronic, but mostly just plain great.

From his childhood (and subsequently adult) obsession with science fiction, his enduring friendship with Nick Frost, and his forays into stand-up comedy which began with his regular Monday morning slot in front of his twelve-year-old classmates, Simon has always had a severe and dangerous case of the funnies.

Whether recounting his experience working as a lifeguard at the city pool, going to Comic-Con for the first time and confessing to Carrie Fisher that he used to kiss her picture every night before he went to sleep, or meeting and working with heroes that include Peter Jackson, Kevin Smith, and Quentin Tarantino, Pegg offers a hilarious look at the journey to becoming an international superstar, dotted with a cast of memorable characters, and you’re rooting for him all the way.


My thoughts:

I think it's always difficult to review someone's memoir.  I really don't want to judge their life.  Fortunately for Nerd Do Well, I really enjoyed it.  I was pretty hesitant picking it up since my husband had already given me his thoughts on the book.  The minute I got the book in the mail, my husband snagged it and read it.  He said it was "British comedy, British comedy, Star Wars, British comedy, Star Wars, Star Wars, Nick Frost".  You can see why I was a bit hesitant.  But I honestly thought it was better than that.

I was also a bit nervous that since he was British, even though I lived over there for a few months and love British shows and movies, I worried I wouldn't get a lot of references.  I didn't have to worry too much (although there were more 1970s/80s references that I didn't get just because I wasn't old enough back then to watch, say Bionic Man). 

What I enjoyed was his memories. Even though his childhood was probably not insanely unique, I enjoyed his stories.  I mean, he gives a Mars Bar to his teacher and chaos ensues, he struggles with his fear of the swimming pool, and while these aren't terribly unique I enjoyed his stories.  I mean, I loved reading about his childhood self who loved performing comedy and really performing anything even if it meant he looked like an idiot doing it.

Perhaps it's his way of writing which makes it feel like he's talking to you.  This would be an awesome audio book if Simon Pegg narrated (I Googled it and he DOES narrate! Yay!).  Interspersed within his memoir is a silly little story staring Simon Pegg as the "world's most famous international playboy and adventurer" who has a sidekick robot.  I know that sounds weird but it really works and my husband and I both enjoyed that little short story.

Perhaps I liked it because while I don't think I'm a huge nerd (I can't program a computer and I've never been to comic-con), I do enjoy some nerdiness.  I loved when he mentioned his cameo in Doctor Who.  I love that show.  I grew up watching it with my dad and being completely confused about what was going on but loving it anyway.  And I loved all the Star Wars and Star Trek references.  I think it's hilarious that I grew up watching Star Trek and playing with Ewoks and my husband really didn't.  Yeah, he makes fun of me for watching Battlestar Galactica too.  What I'm trying to say is that if you appreciate any of these references and think you may be fit somewhere on the nerd radar, you'll enjoy Simon Pegg's memoir too.

For more fun nerdiness stuff, check out Simon Pegg's website
My husband showed me this article: George Lucas Apologizes to Simon Pegg for prequels?
Simon Pegg on NPR 

Here's his book trailer:




Simon Pegg’s TLC Book Tours TOUR STOPS:

Friday, June 3rd:  GeekDad
Monday, June 6th: We Be Reading
Tuesday, June 7th: Chaotic Compendiums
Wednesday, June 8th: Luxury Reading
Thursday, June 9th: Lit and Life
Friday, June 10th:  Nerds in Babeland
Monday, June 13th: The 3 R’s Blog
Tuesday, June 14th: HeGeekSheGeek
Wednesday, June 15th: Life in the Thumb
Thursday, June 16th:  Simply Stacie
Friday, June 17th:  GeekMom
Monday, June 20th:  Book Reviews by Elizabeth A. White
Tuesday, June 21st: Total Fan Girl
Wednesday, June 22nd:  A Library of My Own
Thursday, June 23rd:  Well Read Wife
Friday, June 24th:  Acting Balanced

No comments:

Post a Comment