Wednesday, September 1, 2010

On What Grounds - Cleo Coyle

Book: On What Grounds (Coffeehouse Mystery #1)
Author: Cleo Coyle
Paperback: 270 pages
Publisher: Berkley/Penguin
Published Date: September, 2003


I recently read this absolutely fun mystery book called On What Grounds by Cleo Coyle.  As a part of a gift for being her bridesmaid, my coffee and book loving friend gave this to me.  All I could think was how well she knows me because even though I sucked this paperback down like a cup of dark French Roast coffee, it wasn't something I would have bought myself.  That makes it the perfect gift.

The story takes place in a historic coffeehouse, The Village Blend, in the West Village of New York City.  Clare is coming back to the City to manage the coffeehouse after a ten year break of raising her only daughter in New Jersey.  With her cat Java in tow and braving the Lincoln Tunnel, she comes to the The Village Blend to find it mid-morning and the shop closed.  What?  Turns out her best employee Anabelle is crumpled in a heap and in critical condition at the bottom of the stairwell in the back.  Was this an accident or was the graceful dancer pushed? Clare must deal with her suspicions of attempted murder, her annoyingly charming ex-husband, and the scruffy but attractive Detective Quinn.

So it may sound a little cheesy but this story is utterly charming.  Sometimes the main character can be a little annoying but I loved Clare's personality.  Even at her worst she stops to calm down by making a perfect cup of coffee.  I wanted to stop and take notes and luckily some of the recipes are included in the back of the book like Caffe Cannella, Raspberry-Mocha Bocci, and others.  Mmmm.


Of course nothing is perfect.  Some of the names are a little funny like Java the cat, Matteo Allegro the ex-husband, and Clare Cosi the heroine.  Also, Ms. Coyle loves to use italicized words which, if that bugs you, watch out.  It was something I noticed but could get passed.  I did enjoy the NYC setting.  I wish I had spent more time in the village with their plethora of coffeehouses.  Where I worked in mid-town, I was more likely to sip a Starbucks or an insanely expensive but burnt deli coffee.  Sigh.
I was reading this during a red-eye flight from Alaska to Denver and had to deal with horrible airplane coffee but still....if you love coffee this is your book.

Also Reviewed By:

The Novel World
Socrates Book Reviews

Book #2 Through the Grinder
The Novel World
Bibliophile by the Sea
Socrates Book Reviews

Book #3 Latte Trouble
The Novel World
Bibliophile by the Sea
Socrates Book Reviews

Book #4 Murder Most Frothy
Bibliophile by the Sea

A note from Cleo Coyle
Crazy-for-Books

Check out Cleo's virtual coffeehouse at Coffeehouse Mystery where if you sign up for her newsletter, you'll be entered to win a pound of coffee.  O yeah.  AND there are yummy recipes. 

For all you who love Book Trailers:

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun!! I might actually check this one out -- after all, who doesn't love coffee and a book, right???? :)

    ReplyDelete