Tuesday, January 8, 2013

2012 Wrap Up

Just a bit belated right? O well.  Right now I'm reading the second Game of Thrones book right now so that should give me some good time to catch up on all my backed up reviews.

I saw this wrap up survey over at Books. Lists. Life. and she got hers from Perpetual Page Turner.  So here we go...

I read 57 books this year
10 YA  books
10 Audio books
7 Classics

1. Best book you read in 2012? (You can break it down by genre if you want.)
YA: Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
Sci-fi: Old Man's War by John Scalzi
Classics: Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
Overall: Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver

2. Book you were excited about and thought you were going to love more, but didn't?
I surprisingly had quite a few of these this year. I hate being disappointed.

The first one was Advent by James Treadwell.  I was expecting a good Harry Potter-esque feel and while the first part of the book was awesome and it had a great story/idea, it just fell flat as it went on, to the point that I'll probably not pick up the next books in the series.

The next one was City of Dark Magic by Magnus Flyte.  Also another history/magic/Prague/time travel book...how could you go wrong?  It did.  For a book with one of the most ingenious time travel ideas I've ever heard of and a awesomely interesting plot, the dialogue was juvenile (especially for a bunch of professionals in their fields), the sex scenes were crude and embarrassing, and the romance just unbelievable.

3.  Most surprising (in a good way!) book?
Sister by Rosamund Lupton was an amazing book.  The back of the book makes it almost sound like a Lifetime movie (which isn't my cup of tea) but it's really a beautifully written book and it just sucked me right in.  Loved it.

4.  Book you recommended to people most?
I loaned out a few of my YA books including Cinder and Shadow and Bone because you have to read those if you are into YA books.  I also lent my book Old Man's War to my brother who LOVED it...and he works at a book store so he's got good taste.

5.  Best series you discovered?
Again there's a few this year.
Game of Thrones - why oh why didn't I listen to my friend and read this series years ago?  Awesome!  Shadow and Bone - NEED to read the rest of the series when they come out.
The Dark Unwinding by Sharon Cameron looks like it has potential so I'll be checking that out too.
Cinder -- the next book Scarlet will be coming out and her series looks like it's going to be fun.
Old Man's War - must read more!!

6.  Favorite new authors you discovered?
A ton!
I'm going to have to pick up some Charles Todd books. I read The Walnut Tree and if it's an inkling of what his Bess Crawford series is like then sign me up!  
John Scalzi - Old Man's War was awesome and I can't wait to read more of his Old Man's War series and then some of his stand alone ones like Red Shirts
Susanna Kearsley - After reading The Winter Sea, I think she's going to be one of my go-to I know I can curl up and love her books type of authors.
Sarah Waters - I read my first Sarah Waters this year, The Little Stranger, and know she's going to be a favorite. Good thing I have a few of her books on my shelf waiting to be read.

7.  Best book that was out of  your comfort zone or in a new genre for you?
Hmmm. Not sure I really read anything that was outside of my genre. I definitely read some books that weren't my favorites. I even had a not-finished book this year.  But nothing really outside of what I normally read.

8.  Most thrilling, unputdownable book?
Shadow and Bone - since it's YA it was super fun and easy to read right through..

9.  Book you read in 2012 that you are most likely to reread again next year?
Possibly Shadow and Bone since it's a quick read and I like to remember what's going on when the new book comes out.

10.  Favorite cover of a book you read?
Again, Shadow and Bone comes to mind. I think it's just simple and beautiful:

I also love some historical fiction covers that I read.  Restoration is just gorgeous:

And Juliet Grey's Marie Antoinette series always has beautiful covers:

11.  Most memorable character?
This one is hard because there are so many great characters.  So I'll go with Gemma in The Flight of Gemma Hardy.  I just loved her character in the book even though she was not always perfect.  I adored this book.

12.  Most beautifully written book?
Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver.  For having a plot that doesn't sound that thrilling and a main character who sometimes made me want to slap, it still came out as my favorite book this year.  Man, Kingsolver has proven that she can write.

13.  Book that had the greatest impact on you?
This one is definitely Between Shades of Grey by Ruta Sepetys.  I listened to the audio book and wanted to cry at certain parts and then actually did during the author's talk at the end.  I think this should be mandatory reading for everyone in school.  Wow.

14.  Book you can't believe you waited until 2012 to finally read?
A Game of Thrones, definitely.  YEARS ago my friend told me I should read it and I never did. Drat.

15.  Favorite passage/quote from a book you read?
Hmmm.  I sometimes dog ear (I KNOW!) pages but I really don't mark down a lot of quotes.

16.  Shortest and longest book you read?
Longest book is Outlander by Diana Gabaldon at 850 pages.  Not sure about shortest.

17.  Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to someone about it? Be careful of spoilers.
Sister by Rosamund Lupton -- the ending!! That's all I'm saying. I'd LOVE to know if anyone else saw it coming.  I definitely did not.

18.  Favorite relationship from a book you read?
Again Sister by Rosamund Lupton.  I love how you are so immersed in the relationship between the sisters and even get to know the younger sister and you don't even meet her.  Beautifully done.

19.  Favorite book you read in 2012 from an author you had read previously?
So that I pick something other than Barbara Kingsolver's book,  I'll go with The Technologists by Matthew Pearl.  I read The Last Dickens a while ago and enjoyed it but The Technologists made me a Matthew Pearl fan.  I also listened to and enjoyed The Poe Shadow and still need to review that one.

20.  Best book you read based solely on a recommendation from someone else?
Well I read some books for TLC Tours that I had never heard of before but one that sticks out is Old Man's War.  I honestly can't remember which blogger I heard about it from, it could have been Carl at Stainless Steel Droppings.  All I know is that I recognized it at a library book sale and snagged it up.  So glad I did. It's awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment