Friday, September 2, 2011

RIP VI Challenge


O yeah. It's that time again. How cool is Carl V. at Stainless Steel Droppings?  He's been hosting the R.I.P. Challenge for SIX years!!  What would we all do if he decided to take a year off? I shudder at the thought!

This will be the fourth time I've joined up.  Here's my posts on RIP III, RIP IV, and RIP V.  I have to say this is my all-time favorite challenge.  Besides the advent of college football (WAR EAGLE!!!), September marks RIP season and I just adore the feeling of reading gothic and dark literature.  Especially now that we live in Vegas again and it still feels like full-blown summer outside.  I can not wait for the cooler weather.

What is the R.I.P. Challenge?  From Carl's site:


The purpose of the R.I.P. Challenge is to enjoy books that could be classified as:

Mystery.
Suspense.
Thriller.
Dark Fantasy.
Gothic.
Horror.
Supernatural.


The emphasis is never on the word challenge, instead it is about coming together as a community and embracing the autumnal mood, whether the weather is cooperative where you live or not.
There are two simple goals for the R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril VI Challenge:

1. Have fun reading.
2. Share that fun with others.

As I do each and every year, there are multiple levels of participation (Perils) that allow you to be a part of R.I.P. VI without adding the burden of another commitment to your already busy lives. There is even a one book only option for those who feel that this sort of reading is not their cup of tea (or who have many other commitments) but want to participate all the same.

R.I.P. VI officially runs from September 1st through October 31st. 



I usually sign up for Peril the First - which is read Four books.  You know me though, I can't just pick four.  A few weeks ago I was rummaging around my bookshelves for picks for the challenge.  I think my husband thought I was nuts but was smart enough not to ask what his crazy wife was doing.  Here's my stack:


I also have an alternate stack:



I ALSO have some books I've requested from the library.  And right now I'm listening to the audio version of The Name of the Wind:

I just finished reading The Arrow Chest this morning.  I'll have a review up soon.  Such a perfect Gothic tale to start the challenge:


I also love listening to new music and I found Christina Perri's music to be so lovely.  Little Man is loving it too.  Here's a great moody music video to start the reading season.  Enjoy!

Almost forgot!! Here is the review site - check out who else has signed up and what they are reading!

Carl V is also doing a group read of a few books.  I might join in on The Lantern if I get the book in time.


What I've Read:

The Map of Time - Felix J. Palma
The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss
The Arrow Chest - Robert Parry
The Road - Cormac McCarthy
The Redbreast - Jo Nesbø

No comments:

Post a Comment