Thursday, July 8, 2010

How to Knit a Love Song - Rachael Herron

Book: How to Knit a Love Song
Author: Rachael Herron
Paperback: 320 pages
Publisher: Avon A (April 1, 2010)


A little while ago I read a knitting romance book by Rachael Herron called How to Knit a Love Song.  I received the book from Harper Collins and thought it was such a cute book.  I had no clue that there was a whole genre of knitting novels out there.  I have to say it's something that I could get into since I recently took up knitting.

Here's the story:

Abigail is running away from her old life and towards a new beginning.  Her mentor and friend, Eliza Carpenter (famous in the knitting circles) recently passed away and left Abigail a home on her California property.  Abigail's dreams are put on hold though when she shows up and finds Eliza's angry but attractive nephew living there.

Eliza apparently left Abigail the cottage on the property while Cade, the nephew, gets the property and the main house.  Cade is angry that the land he's made prosperous during his aunt's absence has been usurped by a city girl.


So yeah, this is a romance novel and normally I wouldn't be too big into it but I absolutely loved the knitting part.  I also have to admit that while not insanely original, the story was pretty cute and not too romantically annoying.  It also helped inspire me to knit more on my own.  There's even a pattern for a sweater, which is what Abigail is working on, at the back of the book.  I also loved that each chapter started with a pearl (or purl...sorry, had to do it) of wisdom from Eliza Carpenter.  This is one of those books I sent on to my sister to read and enjoy.

Speaking of knitting and sisters, here's what I made after I read this book.

It was my first attempt at a cable stitch.  I love this cool green color for a scarf. I used Lion Brand's Nature's Choice Organic Cotton because it is so soft. I hate itchy things around my neck:



 I call it the sister scarf. I made my sister the green one to match her hazel eyes and I am making myself a creamy white one.  If you want the pattern, head over to Lion Brand and search for Harbor Scarf.  You can also check out my Ravelry site (username: libraryofmyown) :


For more info about Rachael Herron's book, you can check out her blog Yarn-A-Go-Go.
Book Club Girl also interviewed her so go over and check out their show.

Also reviewed by:
Booking Mama
Bermudaonion's Weblog

No comments:

Post a Comment