Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Siege and Storm - Leigh Bardugo

Title: Siege and Storm (Grisha #2)
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Hardcover: 435 pages (My version: ARC paperback)
Publisher: MacMillan
Published date: June 2013
FTC: Received to review from publisher


Shadow and Bone (my review) was one of my favorite books last year.  I had so much fun reading this first book of Leigh Bardugo's new trilogy.  I ranked it up there with gems like Divergent and The Hunger Games.  So no surprise when I heard that the Harry Potter producer and Dreamworks were going to make this a movie series too.  Magic, Russian-esque folk-lore, and so many awesome scenes I can't wait to see how it's depicted in a movie.  This series has already garnered so much attention I didn't think I'd be lucky to get book #2 as an ARC -- but I did!! Woohoo!  If you haven't read Shadow and Bone -- go read it now so you can catch up on the series.

The synopsis: 

Darkness never dies.

Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land. She finds starting new is not easy while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. She can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.

The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her--or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm.

My thoughts:

It's always hard to review past book one in a series.  I mean, unless you've read book one, you are going to be completely confused by the review AND probably read a bunch of spoilers.

That said I had fun with Siege and Storm although I do think it fell just a tad bit into the pit of second book blahs.  What I mean is that while it's jam packed with good action scenes - I'm still left waiting to see the final showdown.  The interesting thing to see in Siege and Storm is the relationship between Alina and Mal.  In book one Mal was a bit too perfect.  I loved that he made mistakes in this book, got jealous, and they both did thing that made me want to slap them.  But it was a bit more realistic than perfect Mal from book one.

Spoiler Section
For those of you who've read both books:  What do you think of Mal? Does it bother you that Mal seems the happiest when Alina doesn't have her full powers?  How creepy stalker is the Darkling in this book?  What do you think about the pirate/prince?  Swoon! Is it ok to admit that I liked him better than Mal in this one?
Spoilers Over

Reading Siege and Storm, I am too impatient to see how it all plays out to truly enjoy it.  That said, I think if the movies go through then Siege and Storm would make one awesome movie. There are a ton of action sequences that I think would look amazing on the big screen.  And how cool would the Russian-esque costumes be?

Tap tap tap....when does Ruin and Rising come out?  Sigh.

Extras:

My ARC copy:


Check out her short story/Russian fable The Too-Clever Fox which is pretty darn good:

And I need to read her other one, The Witch of Duva:

No comments:

Post a Comment