Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Neverwhere Discussion Part 2

I am over a week behind on the Neverwhere read-a-long but I'm still doing it!  Check out my response to Part 1 if you haven't already.

I'm behind, not because the book isn't a kick-butt story (because it is), but because my little baby boy is no longer a baby but a climbing, almost running toddler who just turned one.

By the way, head over to Carl's post and check out the awesome photo he took of Neverwhere/Mind the Gap. Awesome.

Here we go:

1. Chapter 6 begins with Richard chanting the mantra, "I want to go home". How do you feel about Richard and his reactions at this point to the unexpected adventure he finds himself on?

I love that Richard is a completely believable character in how he responds and reacts to this whole bizarre adventure.  You can tell he is a compassionate person because he helped Door and then still mourns Anaesthesia.  But you know, he's kind of a baby too and probably the antithesis of a hero. For some reason, Richard is my only hang-up in wanting to see Neverwhere as a movie. I've seen the original mini-series so I'm not counting that -- but I think it would be hard to cast Richard -- a character who is likeable (ok, mabye realistic is the better word) but such a non-hero.

**Man, I just read Carl's post and his answer perfectly says what I was thinking.

2. The Marquis de Carabas was even more mysterious and cagey during the first part of this week's reading. What were your reactions to him/thoughts about him as you followed his activities?

Spoilers!!

In all honesty, and this sounds really bad, I can't seem to remember what happens with his character from my first reading of the book years ago.  So he seems cagey, but I trust him.  Although when we went to see Croup and Vandemar I completely thought "Ah ha! He IS bad!" -- but I'm still not sure.  I tend to think that Door and her father can't be completely wrong about him.  Bad or good I still like Carabas because again, he's such a realistic character.  If he did something bad, it's not like Croup and Vandemar (truly evil bad), it's just that he's looking out for number one.

3. How did you feel about the Ordeal of the Key?

I think this part of the book has such memorable scenes.  The part where Door and Richard crash the party to find angel, the meeting with the Angel Islington, and the Ordeal of the Key --- sigh. Epic.  My favorite part of the Ordeal of the Key is that it's such a brilliantly simple ordeal that would probably have most people (probably me included) fail miserably.  Beautifully done.  I don't want to spoil this part for anyone but if you've never read Neverwhere -- the Ordeal of the Key is why you should.

4.  This section of the book is filled with moments. Small, sometimes quite significant, moments that pass within a few pages but stick with you.  What are one or two of these that you haven't discussed yet that stood out to you, or that you particularly enjoyed.

Like I mentioned above, the scene were Door and Richard go to the Angel museum exhibit -- I can totally see that.  It's one of my favorite scenes.  The one that I remember vividly from my first read is the Earl's Court.  I thought it was fabulous that a book took the odd names of a place and made it come alive.  Of course there's an Earl's Court in a subway car in Underground London...why of course there is!

I love Carl's post about the "Mind the Gap" part.  My first time to London was before I read Neverwhere but I will always remember my first "Mind the Gap" moment on the subway and I love that Gaiman included that funny London tidbit.

5. Any other things/ideas that you want to talk about from this section of the book?

Another horrible aspect that I can't remember from my first read is the budding relationship building between Door and Richard.  I can't remember what happens between them which is wonderful for my re-reading.  It's not a love story, but there is starting to be a camaraderie (perhaps more?) between them -- I love the scene with drunk Door and Richard stumbling and giggling from the museum. I still can't quite picture Door either in my head -- although the mini-series did a good job casting her, I'm still not sure how I picture her.

Also, something I learned by reading Part 1Discussion posts from other people (Nashville Book Worm in particular) is that while years ago after reading Nevewhere I learned there was a BBC mini-series and I watched it -- and was left quite disappointed.  I always thought the mini-series came AFTER the book -- I was wrong!!
-----------

Whoohoo! On to finish the book! I'll leave you with an adorable photo of my little Rocket with his favorite book:




No comments:

Post a Comment