Sunday, May 4, 2014

With Every Letter - Sarah Sundin

Title: With Every Letter (Wings of the Nightingale #1)
Author: Sarah Sundin
Paperback: 432 pages
Publisher: Revell
Published date: 2012
FTC: Ebook from the library


I was perusing my library's ebook collection and while I've been trying to read ebooks that I own, for some reason I was drawn to this book.  I am such a sucker for WWII novels and I was drawn to the stories of these flight nurses.  While not five star material (ok four and a half), I was totally sucked into the series and am reading book two right now.  I'm looking forward to book three coming out in August. This book is also Christian fiction which I've been enjoying more and more.

Back of the book:

Lt. Mellie Blake is looking forward to her training as a flight nurse. She is not looking forward to writing a letter to a man she's never met - even if it is anonymous and part of a morale-building program.

Lt. Tom MacGilliver, an officer stationed in North Africa, welcomes the idea of an anonymous correspondence - he's been trying to escape his infamous name for years. As their letters crisscross the Atlantic, Tom and Mellie develop a unique friendship despite not knowing the other's true identity.

When both are transferred to Algeria, the two are poised to meet face-to-face for the first time. Will they overcome their fears and reveal who they are, or will their future be held hostage by their pasts?

My thoughts:

This sounds like such a cheesy romance right? Ok sort of. But what I loved about the story is that it went much deeper than that.  I loved Mellie Blake's background - part Filipino who helped her father apply medicine in the field in jungles and back country.  She prays for his safety as he is currently missing in Japan. Her background provided excellent training for a nurse but she struggles with making friends and being social. I adored the other flight nurses - Rose, Georgiana, and Kay.  So while there is romance, a good part of the story is watching Mellie grow as a person.  The other two books center around Lt. Georgiana and Lt Kay. Sarah Sundin's books are also great because the chapters alternate perspectives between Mellie and Tom.  I really enjoyed Lt. Tom's voice and insight. This book is also Christian fiction so while it's not slam in your face, I loved the ethical and moral decisions these characters faced and how they overcame them.

As a history buff, I loved learning about different theaters, operations, and people during WWII.  Lt. Mellie Blake, while fictional, was part of the 802nd Medical Air Transport Squadron. If you head over to Sarah Sundin's website she gives more in depth about the historical aspects of her novel. Lt. Tom MacGilliver was part of the Corps of Engineers. I thoroughly enjoyed following Mellie and Tom through Algeria and Tunisia as Operation Torch was carried out.

This book is a great read whether you are wanting romance or history.  I was also excited to find book #1 of her other series Wings of Glory free as a Nook book.



2 comments:

  1. Amanda - thank you so much for the lovely review! I'm so glad you enjoyed Tom & Mellie's story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking out my review! I loved On Distant Shores as well and can't wait to read Kay's story as well.

      Delete