Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Falling Together - Marisa de los Santos

Title: Falling Together
Author: Marisa de los Santos
Advanced Reader's Edition: 358 pages
Publisher: Harper Collins
Published date: October 4, 2011
FTC: received from publisher


I can truly say that I love Marisa de los Santos' books.  I've read Belong to Me (my review) and have been meaning to read her first book Love Walked In.  So when I saw that Book Club Girl was doing a live chat on October 5th, I asked to read and review her book.  If you've never read her books, I'd strongly suggest picking one up.  Isn't the cover gorgeous?

By the way, Falling Together is out as of today so check it out! I saw that Shelf Awareness Maximum is talking about her today as well so head over there to check it out.

Back of the book:

What would you do if an old friend needed you, but it meant turning your new life upside down? 

Pen, Will, and Cat met during the first week of their first year of college and struck up a remarkable friendship, one that sustained them and shaped them for years - until it ended abruptly, and they went their separate ways. Now, six years later, Pen is the single mother of a five-year-old girl, living with her older brother in Philadelphia and trying to make peace with the sudden death of her father. Even though she feels deserted by Will and Cat, she has never stopped wanting them back in her life, so when she receives an email from a desperate-sounding Cat asking her to meet her at their upcoming college reunion, Pen goes. What happens there sends past and present colliding and sends Pen and her friends on a journey across the world, a journey that will change everything.


My thoughts: 

I could never quite grasp just why I adore Marisa de los Santos' novels.  I'm not a huge chick-lit reader.  The stories are never insanely crazy unique...but there is something I adore.  While reading Shelf Awareness Maximum today and reading an interview with Marisa, I found out that she originally studied, wrote, and published poetry before she wrote novels.  That's it!! Her writing is just so beautiful.  I picked this book up and seriously read it in two days.  Sometimes I would read out loud to my little guy while he was on his play mat and her words just rolled off the page like poetry.  I see why now!

The other thing about Falling Together that I loved is that the main characters take a trip to Cebu City, Philippines.  Before reading this book, I never knew that Marisa de los Santos was part Filipino and travels there from time to time.  She mentioned in the interview that she hopes the book makes people want to go there.  O yeah it does.  The sounds, fragrances, food!!!  Mmmm.  Head over to the interview for a recipe for Puto Mayo with Mangoes.


Check out Marisa de los Santos on Facebook, her website, and head over to Book Club Girl on Blog Talk Radio tomorrow for the show at 7 PM EST.  

Also Reviewed by:


S. Krishna's Books
Booking Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment